- Get Pro Bono
- Do Pro Bono
- Support Pro Bono
- About Pro Bono
You are here
Organizations must meet our basic and regional criteria to be eligible for a Service Grant. Please review these criteria before you apply. For questions, please contact your local office.
The next application deadline is September 2015. Check with your local office below for the exact deadline. The Taproot Foundation will notify all March-round nonprofit applicants of next steps via mail or email by the end of April.
BASIC ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
To be eligible for a Service Grant, an organization must:
- Be headquartered in one of our service areas:
- CHICAGO — Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry or Will counties
- LOS ANGELES — Downtown Los Angeles, Pasadena, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, South LA, Commerce/South Gate, East LA, San Fernando Valley, and Santa Monica/Venice Beach. We have now expanded into Orange County! (check back in each grant round for expanded geographic coverage)
- NEW YORK CITY — Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Staten Island or Brooklyn
- SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA — San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda, Contra Costa or Marin counties
- WASHINGTON, D.C. AREA — District of Columbia; Montgomery and Prince George's counties in Maryland; and Arlington and Fairfax counties and the City of Alexandria in Virginia
- Be classified as a 501(c)(3), be under the fiscal sponsorship of a 501(c)(3), be a program of a 501(c)(3) -or- be a public school.
- Have at least three full time employees and a budget over $350,000. (Most organizations must be at least this large to take advantage of a team of five professionals.) Three of our Leadership Development & Strategic HR grants are best for larger organizations (see the grant catalog for more information).
- Work within one of our issue areas:
- ARTS — Providing leadership or education in the art community, while making the arts more accessible to everyone.
- EDUCATION — Strengthening our public education (pre-K and K-12) system or enhancing the educational success of students.
- ENVIRONMENT — Preserving and restoring our environment or caring for animal welfare.
- HEALTH — Improving people's physical or emotional health.
- SOCIAL SERVICES — Providing social services to those who have been unable to participate fully in the social and economic life of the community. Services usually target children and families, employment and training, the elderly, immigrants, the disabled, housing and homelessness or foster and adoption services.
We do not provide services to:
- Organizations that promote religious doctrine. (We may support agencies operated by religious organizations that serve secular needs.)
- Organizations that lack written policies about discrimination or have a track record of discriminating on the basis of age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, disability, national origin, political affiliation or religious belief.
Please visit our Los Angeles Nonprofit page for updates on Los Angeles deadlines, service area expansions, and other city updates.
San Francisco Bay Area
Please visit our Bay Area page for specific information. (Seriously, there are tons of great tips. You don't want to miss out.)
Taproot Foundation Chicago is now accepting applications for the March grant round. Applications are due by end-of-day June 3rd. We invite you to sign-up for a 20 minute consultation with one of our Program Managers prior to submitting an application. Click here to make an appointment online. Please contact the Chicago staff at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information about the Service Grant offerings in Chicago.
Grantees of the following foundations are especially encouraged to apply for the June 3rd deadline: Joyce Foundation, JP Morgan Chase, Lloyd A. Fry Foundation, and the Crown Family.
New York City
Taproot Foundation has quarterly deadlines in March, June, September, and December. Applications are currently being accepted for our September 2nd deadline. Apply online here.
The NYC office accepts applications from all nonprofit organizations that meet our basic eligibility requirements.
Taproot Foundation strongly encourages organizations to take advantage of Taproot’s resources prior to submitting an application. Review our available grants for detailed descriptions of our grant types. If you wish to apply for a Service Grant, please contact Alanya Green to discuss your needs and any questions you may have:
Associate Program Manager
Please note that our Marketing and IT Service Grants, particularly our Website and Salesforce Database Service Grant, are extremely competitive. We encourage you to consider our Leadership Development & Strategic HR or Strategy Management practice area Services Grants, should they address your organizational needs.
Washington D.C. Area
The DC Metro Area office will be accepting applications from all nonprofits that meet our basic eligibility requirements. Please check these requirements before completing an application to ensure your organization is a fit.
We regret that we will not offer a September 2015 grant round in the Washington, DC office. Our next round will be in December.
Should you have any questions before submitting your application, we invite you to contact our Program Manager to schedule a 20 minute consultation.
INSTITUTIONAL STRENGTH AND READINESS
In addition to our basic and regional criteria, we also review an organization's readiness to take on a Service Grant:
- INSTITUTIONAL STRENGTH AND STABILITY — We seek organizations with healthy finances, strong mission and programs, proven results and stable staff.
- FITNESS FOR THE GRANT — Organizations need to demonstrate a clear need for the Service Grant and request support that is consistent with our defined scope for that particular Service Grant. Review the Service Grant Catalog pages to understand the scope for each grant.
- READINESS FOR THE GRANT — Readiness includes sufficient board and staff time for the Service Grant, a good decision-making structure, and internal resources to execute the work.
- STRATEGIC PLAN — For Key Messages and Brand Strategy, Naming & Visual Identity, Visual Identity & Brand Strategy, Performance Management, Board Recruitment, or Strategic Scorecard grants, organizations must have a strategic plan.
Taproot Foundation staff will use their discretion to award all Service Grants. All criteria are subject to changes or additions. If you have specific questions about whether your organization should apply in this round, please contact your local office:
|REGION||NAME AND E-MAIL||PHONE|
|San Francisco Bay Area||Christine Auwarter||415-359-1423 x323|
|Los Angeles||Bari Goldsmith||213-620-0173|
|New York||Alanya Green||212-257-7655|
|Washington, D.C.||Isioma Orewa||202-223-1145 x100|